Friday, April 27, 2007

Ready, set, go....

I used to be a big journaler. I'm not quite sure where that has gone as I've gotten older....Life gets busier and my business gets less dramatic I guess. :)

Today's a big day. Josh and I have had our paperwork logged in in China for 16 months now. For those of you just jumping in, that's about 10 months longer than we thought we'd be waiting and we've got a bunch more waiting to go. I'd say 4-5 months until referral. Little did I know when I bought cute summer dresses on clearance in the fall of 2005, my daughter wouldn't actually get to wear them until summer 2008! What can you do??? At least she will be well dressed by the time we get her because I have every season covered in three different sizes!

My grandparents are celebrating their 65th anniversary today!! They are both 89 years old. My mom took them out to dinner. I wish I could have been there. Having family spread all over the US is a big bummer. Josh and I are about to celebrate our 5th anniversary and although those years haven't always been easy by any means, the hard work is so worth it. I love him so much and I can't imagine how much love one person must have for another to have a relationship that withstands 65 years of betters and worses, sicknesses and healths. I pray that Josh and I get to 65 years. Oh my, we'd be 93!!!

This was also the last day of my first week as the Minister to Children and Families at The Rock La Roca United Methodist Church. I resigned my position at the rescue mission and joined the staff of our church. The Rock is an inner-city church and we're just trying to figure out what it means to be salt and light in a very diverse neighborhood with a very, very diverse congregation. I can't believe I get to spend the best hours of my week investing in kids. This position is a culmination of all of my life experiences, my passions and my education and I'm now doing what I was meant to do. That's a really great feeling.

Shortly into the adoption process I realized that I wouldn't be able to put Katelyn into full-time daycare once we got home. I know that lots of people do it and their kids turn out just fine, but in my gut, I knew I just couldn't. It's taken so long to get her home and I just want time with her. And I prayed and prayed for a solution, because the reality is that I need to work full-time for us to make ends meet. God has really blessed us. Josh has a great new job driving a bus for the city which allowed me to be able to take a pay cut and go on staff at the church. It all balanced out and because my schedule is so flexible, Katelyn will get plenty of time with me and with Josh and hopefully we'll need a minimal amount of childcare. There will be many times that she'll just come with me and can play while I get things done. Whoo hoo. The timing of it all was so amazing. I had wanted this job for a year and a half but couldn't even pursue it until it was a full time position. Josh went on staff at LexTran 2 weeks before they posted the full-time postition which meant he got a great raise and excellent benefits. If they had posted the position even a month before I wouldn't have been able to apply. God's timing really is perfect. Knowing that because I've experienced it in my life time and time again is the only thing that gives me peace right now as we wait for our child to come home. I know that she will be just perfect for our family. I can't wait to meet her...I bet she'll laugh a lot. That will make me happy.

1 comment:

maggie said...

so... i didn't know you had a blog! yay! one more way for me to procratinate...yay again!

you have definitely had a big week, and i am excited about all that God has in store for you and josh! and i know that katelyn will be doubly incredible, because of your patience....

i love you guys!