Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Neighborhood kids

What does it mean to work with kids that have most things going against them? They're high risk from day one. Some have parents that aren't involved. Most are living at or below the federal poverty line I would guess. They've learned that violence and verbal aggression are the way to solve problems. Some have been neglected. Some have never gone very far outside of this neighborhood. Some spent the early years of their lives in refugee camps in Africa as their families worked hard to flee from civil war, famine and disease so they could have a shot at a better life.

In one respect our kids are easy to work with simply because I realize just how badly they need people in their lives who will support them, cheer them on, listen to what's important, lead them to Jesus...Some of them don't have that anywhere else in their life but here at the church. On the other hand, it's tough to work with our kids. A creative, fun program isn't enough. We have to invest in the whole kid for any of this to make a difference. Most of our kids are on the free lunch program at school. So what happens in the summer? Will they still get a nutritious meal in the middle of the day? What should we do as a church to care for their physical needs? If we have kids that are constant "trouble makers" starting fights and disrupting our program what should we do? Do we send them home or is that just perpetuating the problem? We need a lot of adults helping to make this work. Do we really have enough people who are willing to spend time with kids consistenly every week...even when they've had a long day and are tired? Because the reality is, a handful of us cannot do this alone.

I've decided that this summer we'll have the family fun nights and the week long vacation bible school. We'll partner with Athletes in Action and have kids attend the week long basketball camp at the local park. But then I'm not planning big kids events to the ball game or to the pool. I'm going to take a few kids at a time out to do things. I'm gong to get other adults excited about doing the same thing. I want to get to know these kids. I want them to learn that I'm a safe person they can trust. I want to really invest in them in smaller groups so that this children's ministry is built on a solid foundation. I pray this will open doors for me to interact with their parents.

Then there's Josh. Whenever he doesn't have to work on Wednesday nights he's here at the church helping with the middle school boys. They love him! He's such a natural with these kids. He's fun and goofy and then serious and to the point when he needs to be. I love watching him interact with the kids. I'm glad that it's something we both are passionate about.

Our society has really failed kids. The church has failed kids. It's time for that to change...and although I can't be part of that change everywhere, I can in this neighborhood in Lexington, KY.

No comments: