Monday, May 7, 2007

Maybe I'm a little ADD...and maybe that's okay!

So I've been working at the church for a couple of weeks now and I have this really flexible schedule and kind of plan out my own week. I'm realizing that I might have a touch of attention deficit in me. You have to understand that there wasn't a full-time person in this position before me, so now I'm sitting here a bit overwhelmed and not quite sure where to start because there's lots to be done!

Last week I went to a couple of the Christian book stores to look through some different children's ministry curriculum and today I spent some time finding it online for as cheap as possible (because I'm frugal like that). In the middle of that I remembered that I needed to reply to a couple of e-mails so I did that... the whole time I'm conscious of the fact that it's 75 degrees and BEAUTIFUL outside so I decided that I "needed" to take a walk to see exactly where the church's community garden is going in, walk around Castlewood Park to see where everything was out there and think about things we could do with the kids at the park this summer and then walk down Devonia Ave. on my way back to the church because we have a couple of families that live on that street and I was hoping someone would be around. (I felt a bit like one of those Family Circle cartoons where you have the crazy dotted line that shows where little Billy has been all day.)

But this is why my ADD is a good thing (or okay at least). Sometimes it's easy for me to get focused on the tasks at hand and my to-do list and I lose track of what's most important. I walked by the house on Devonia where six of our kids live (siblings and cousins) and they were all outside playing...even mom and dad were on the porch. Little Aliya (3 years old) was so excited to see me and couldn't believe that her "teacher" was at her house. Kaitlin came out to the porch and said, "Miss Melissa, what are you doing here?" Cliff and Tonya (the mom and dad) were asking more questions about what will be going on for the kids this summer and they said they were glad I stopped by and could come by any time. My little walk ended up being the most valuable part of my day and I was so glad that I got to spend 15 minutes chatting with this family. I'm praying that I'll get lots of opportunities to get to know them better. (I think I just have to make sure that I'm outside on beautiful days!)

No comments: