Saturday, June 20, 2009

Just canning and baking...

I'm really enjoying this summer. Mom and dad are here so we get to play at the lake with them. The weather's been perfect for the garden and the crop out at the farm we're members of (lots of rain and nice sunny, hot days in between). I've been loving time outside...working in the yard, hanging out with Katelyn, spending time playing with the kids at church. I think the sunshine is good for my soul. People have been complaining that it's hot...I'll take this over the cold any day! I've been discovering things that I really enjoy doing...two of which are canning and cooking healthy food.
Last week I made a couple of jars of strawberry jam...with strawberries fresh from the farm. It was SO good. I don't think I'll ever be able to buy jam from the store again...what a difference!! I've learned that the happiest sound when you are canning is the POP the lids make when they vacuum seal themselves. It's like an announcement, "Mission accomplished!"
So this week was the last week for strawberries out at the farm...BOO, HISS. But, it was the first week for rasberries...YEAH. And I got some fresh rhubarb. So tonight I made 2 1/2 jars of strawberry-rasberry-rhubarb jam. I must say that my favorite part of making jam is that there's always more than what fits in the full jars that you seal and save for later in the year when you can't get the berries in season. That 1/2 a jar goes straight into the fridge to be eaten now! :) So we'll see how this jam turns out...yummy, I hope.
I HATE throwing food out. It's so wasteful...I just picture money going down the drain and faces of people who are hungry....
So the old bananas in our house always get turned into something. Of course banana bread is a sure bet...but I wanted to make something a bit healthier. Last time I made banana waffles and froze them so I could pop them in the toaster for Katelyn's breakfasts. Tonight, I found a recipe for Peanut Butter Banana Oatmeal Cookies at http://www.allrecipes.com/ (a great site if you've never checked it out.)
Here's the recipe:
2-3 ripe bananas
1 c. peanut butter (I used natural peanut butter with no sugar added)
1/4 c. white sugar
1/2 c. brown sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 c. wheat flour
1/4 c. white flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 1/2 c. rolled oats
1-2 Tbsp of flax seed (I threw this in for omega 3 fat and added fiber)
Mix it all together and drop by spoonfuls on cookie sheet. Bake at 325 for 15-17 minutes.
They are kind of cakey in texture. Almost like the top of a muffin. Really these have so much good stuff in them (fruit, protein, whole grains) they could be a good breakfast option. (I know a couple of these and a cup of coffee will be my breakfast in the morning!)


Okay, the kitchen is clean...time for bed....

No comments: