Friday, March 13, 2009

Happy Birthday to Me!!!

What a fun day I've had so far! It's my 35th birthday (oh my gosh...am I really 35) and Katelyn and I went to see Disney on Ice together this morning. It was fabulous. For most of the first half of the show Katelyn was a bit freaked out. She cried some and buried her head in my shoulder. She wasn't sure what to make of all of the characters, lights, noise....but then the It's a Small World number started and I kid you not, this kid perked right up and got into it. (Dad, I laughed out loud just thinking of you....My dad HATES It's a Small World). Then they had a little electric light parade deal as the closing number going into intermission and Katelyn really liked all the lights. She said WOW!
After intermission, Katelyn was really into it. There was a really long Mulan number and the Mulan movie is set in China. I wonder if the sound of the music was familiar to Katelyn and that's why she really like it?? Anyway, from there on out she sat on my lap eating her goldfish crackers and soaking it all in. When it was all over we walked back to the car and after the first five minutes of the drive home I realized the princess was sound asleep in the backseat. It was a big morning. :)




Here's the Electic Light Parade that Katelyn liked.

And of course she loved Mickey and Minnie.


We have a man that's working with our staff at the church on spiritual formation. He has met with us collectively and individually. He was in Lexington once with us for a few days and we will have him here several more times over the next year. He also talks with us individually on the phone in between those in person meetings. Anyway, in the individual times he is helping each of us individually to grow in our relationship with Jesus in some key ways through some spiritual direction and the last time he and I talked my assignment was to celebrate. Good assignment, right!? He wants me to be intentional about receiving God's grace and celebrating all the little and big victories that I have along the way.
This last year has honestly been the most difficult of my life. I am so blessed by Katelyn in so many ways, but specifically because I know that God has given her to me in this season as a reminder that there is always hope and new life. When really difficult things happen in our lives we have a choice to make. We can either be defeated, or we can accept the circumstances as they are and find joy in each day. I choose joy.
So here are this year's victories:
Becoming a mommy...this is the best one.
Finding out that I'm stronger than I ever thought I was.
Losing 40 pounds. I feel so much better inside and out.
Figuring out how to do more with less.

No comments: