Tuesday, March 1, 2011

February in a nutshell

I just need to sum up February. It started out just fine. Then for two weeks our house was full of illness. And then the month ended fabulously!!
The beginning of February left us to our own antics because it was so cold. So one fun night started out with a Michael and Katelyn tinker toy creation.
Then Katelyn got crazy.

And the living room became a scene from Where the Wild Things Are. She decided it would be fun to run in circles dancing around the tinker toys while Michael and I whistled John Philips Sousa marching band music. Let me remind you...yes, we really are this cool.

Katelyn was thoroughly entertained for quite a while.

I love this girl.

Another milestone this month was a big girl bed. I know...she's three and a half. But she loved her crib. She NEVER tried to climb out of the thing so we weren't in any hurry for the big girl bed. But we finally decided that it was time for the switch. The funny thing is she still calls for us in the morning. She won't get out of the bed until we come in and get her. She's a girl who lives within her boundaries. :)

And this is what her room looks like with the new addition. See how I found a quilt that matched so I didn't have to do any other redecorating? Smart, right!!!

And then the illness came. On the same night Katelyn got the flu (fever, runny nose, coughing...miserable) and Michael got the stomach flu. Michael was down for three days and Katelyn was on the couch for a whole week. It was so sad...and her cough was just lousy. Katelyn has never had more than just the sniffles. In the last two years she's gone to the doctor for her two year old and three year old well visits....that's it. So it was hard to see this super active, healthy kid curled up on the couch for days. She lost three pounds that week (and she only weighed 37 to start off!) But she's better now and eating us out of house and home so I think all is well.

Katelyn has been starting to write letters. She was doing A, E, F, L, T. Then all of a sudden a few days ago she was at the table with her markers while Michael and I were cleaning up after dinner and she said, "Mommy, look. I wrote my name." I was expecting her to have written a few letters...but no, she really did write her name. All by herself. I'm going to frame it. :)

We went out to Red Robin the other night because I really wanted a hamburger. (Please note...I never say this. We eat red meat about once a month maybe.) Katelyn got a balloon. She held on to that thing all night and then was devastated the next morning when it was on the floor because the hellium had leaked out. She kept asking why it wouldn't fly and could I make it fly over and over.
For dinner tonight we made White Chicken Chili, cornbread and a salad. So yummy!!

And to wrap up February with a bang and kick March off with much celebration, Michael got a job as a project manager for a German company in Frankfort (20 miles from our house) that manufactures plastics for the automotive industry. (Background....Michael speaks fluent German, worked for 10 years as an automotive engineer and has been doing engineering consulting for a company that manufactures plastics for the last six months). Yep, it's that perfect. He starts on Monday.
So we had a bumpy patch but we are healthy and ready for spring to get here. We're starting to plan the garden. The seed catalogs are on hand.











1 comment:

a.b. said...

Love the pics! So glad I've been talking to you on the phone and didn't have to wait 30 days to get an update on my sweetie! and Michael and you! When you told me she wrote her name, I didn't know she literally did it all by herself! So cool! Give her lots of hugs and kisses. Love you.