Saturday, March 19, 2011

WELCOME BACK SPRING!!!

Oh spring...welcome back! We have missed you so!! We spent today preparing for you... In your honor, most favored season, we hung clothes on the line and spent all day outside in the dirt. So long winter. You have overstayed your welcome and now we must say goodbye!
What a glorious day!!! We went to the library. We went out to lunch. We went to Lowes. I love going to Lowes. Oh the possibilities. Then we came home and got to work. The first thing Michael did was put the clothesline back up...and I promptly put clothes on it. I LOVE MY CLOTHESLINE. Our sheets smell so good. I can't wait to go to bed.
We mixed all of our compost into our garden spaces. What a rich pile of goodness our decayed fruits, vegetables and yard waste turned out to be. All I have to say is save your money buying some fancy composter. Just throw it all in a pile in the corner of the yard and turn it occasionally with a shovel. Perfect. There were so many worms in our compost. Our garden is going to be very, very happy this year!
Katelyn was in HEAVEN today. All of the dirt and worms. She searched for worms all day. We found the biggest worm I've ever seen! Here's Katelyn with a wheelbarrow of our compost. She said, "I love decay." That's our girl!!
Katelyn just kept moving from patch of dirt to patch of dirt. She's going to be sad when things are actually planted there and she's not allowed to play in it.

Is this not a picture of complete contentment?? She was happy as can be. We were outside for hours today and Katelyn loved it. You should have seen the bath tub tonight after Katelyn got out of it.

Romping through the dirt. It took this child 30 seconds to fall asleep tonight. :)

And then of course she was hungry and needed a snack. She ate like a horse today. She had a snack right after she ate her whole plate of dinner. If you ask her what her favorite things to do are she'll tell you, "Eat and play." What a life!

We were super productive today and our soil is ready for some planting. We got broccoli and cabbage plants to get the back corner started and I'll plant lettuce and maybe some spinach seeds back there too.

My tulips and hyacinths started coming up along the side fence so I was clearing out dead leaves and grass that was all around them and I got motivated to cut out a whole little flower bed. I'm going to plant some annuals after the spring flowers are done and edge it all with some kind of rock or stone.



The spring flowers are coming up. It won't be long now.
I resigned from my job this week! With Michael's new position we are able to have me home with Katelyn now. I'm SO excited to have more time with her...more time to do the things around the house that never seem to get done. More time to garden and can. More time to invest in my family. I'm more excited about this spring and summer than I've ever been. God has been so faithful to provide all that we need and I am counting my blessings a whole lot these days.

4 comments:

Aaron Mansfield said...

You bunch of hippies!!

Carrie said...

Melissa,
I was so thrilled when I read that you get to stay home with Katelyn! No one loves those babies like mom and dad do! I am excited for you all! Hope to see you at the AHH picnic this year!
God bless,
Carrie

Aaron Mansfield said...

WHATEVER!!! You welcomed spring and it was yanked back!

Carrie said...

Did y'all get abducted by aliens.....cuz if you did, send me a vibe and I will be there to help. Hee, hee.....just missing the happenings of the Kramer family!