Friday, March 19, 2010

Dandelions

My grandpa used to say that his favorite flower was the dandelion. I come from a long line of silly, sarcastic people...so I come by it honestly. But I did think of grandpa today as I was working in the yard and Katelyn came running at me saying, "Mama, I found the yellow flowers." I hadn't even seen them...but sure enough...there were three little dandelions along the back fence.
We spent a good chunk of time in the back yard today. It was BEAUTIFUL here. Mid-sixties. Clear blue sky.
PERFECT spring day.
I was working on getting the garden area and containers cleaned up and ready for planting. Michael raked up old leaves and dead grass. Katelyn dug in the dirt and was very excited to find worms. She rolled in the dirt and ran through all of the debris Michael had raked up. Katelyn comes ALIVE this time of year. (Not that she's sedate any other time of year...but she really comes alive when the sun comes out. God really did send me the perfect child.) She is so happy to play outside. She's most happy in a pile of dirt. Every night baths start now.

I'm so excited to head into this next season. So many memories to be made. A fresh start. New growth. More time at the lake. More time in the garden. A bigger garden. Meals to be shared. Canning to be done. My sweet little family. It really is the simple things that make me happiest.
It's nice to be dreaming again.


It was good to see a little girl running toward me with grandpa's favorite flowers in hand. The next generation sure is looking good.

1 comment:

A.B. said...

Thanks for making me cry joyful tears. Grandpa would be very proud of all of his kids, grandkids, and great grandkids! Katelyn definitely would be making him smile....just as you did. We had an inch of snow up here, no dandelions yet. But I do have my seeds and containers to start my flowers and garden. I am so excited for spring to really arrive. I too have a new start....and yes, it's the little things that make me happy too. I love you bunches!