Thursday, September 16, 2010

An afternoon treat

When I'm stressed out and overwhelmed, I cook. When I feel creative, I cook. When I'm sad, I cook. When I am full to the brim with joy, I cook. I cut out recipes from the paper. I love a new cookbook (although I have no right to ever buy a cookbook again...the cookbook cupboard is full.) I love cooking magazines and I dog ear the pages that have enticing recipes I want to try. I have multiple folders full of recipes I've riped out of magazines. When I'm wasting time online I'm looking at new recipes. I love to check out cookbooks at the library. Making things from scratch is not work, it's pure enjoyment. I love to feed family and friends. I love the smells that linger in the kitchen after something's been baking. Are you catching my drift? I spend a lot of time in the kitchen...and I don't mind that one bit.
It's a rainy day. I've had a bit of a cold for the last few days....I think I'm getting better. Katelyn's taking a nap and Michael's working on a big paper for one of his classes. And I had crystalized ginger that I wasn't quite sure what to do with....so I found this recipe:
These cookies are SO good and the house smells AMAZING! They are somewhere in between a snickerdoodle and a gingersnap. Warm out of the over with a glass of milk = a slice of heaven.
I didn't have dark corn syrup so I used a 1/4 brown sugar and a whole egg instead of just the egg white and I didn't have ground cloves so I used a tsp. of allspice instead. I think rolling them in granulated sugar is enough so I didn't use powdered sugar at the end.
I'm pretty sure I got wife points for bringing warm cookies and a glass of milk upstairs to the busy paper writer. :)

3 comments:

A.B. said...

You get this from the Ketchel and Gressler sides. We all love to cook. And when we are stressed or we know a friend or family member is hurting, we cook because we feel we need to do something! Having two diabetics in my household prevents me from baking as much as I'd like to. But I just may have to try these cookies. Love snickerdoodles!!!

Melissa K. said...

I've named them Gingerdoodles. I brought them to the lake this weekend and they were quickly devoured. Maybe I'll just make some next week and bring them with us to Michigan!

Anonymous said...

Good evening

Definitely gonna recommend this post to a few friends