Saturday, July 11, 2009

I love yard sales!

Today my subdivision and another subdivision up the road had their neighborhood yard sales. Cha ching! You know I love a good deal. And honestly, I love roaming through a yard sale. I know there's lots of junk...but I love it when you find the treasures. People get rid of some seriously good stuff....for cheap!! I'm all set to sell Katelyn's old stuff at a consignment sale this fall (get much more than selling it at a yard sale) and I've been giving all my clothes away to our clothing bank at church...so I just didn't have it in me to have my own sale today for all the odds and ends around my house..so I went to check out everyone else's sales.

I spent a total of $6 and got Katelyn 2 pairs of pajamas, 2 pairs of pants for the fall, one t-shirt, one sweater for this winter, a dress for next summer, a shirt for me for 50 cents! (It's great to lose weight...but I can't wear any of my clothes from last year and there is no budget to buy a new wardrobe...plus, I have no plans to stay in the size I'm in now anyway!!), a little play dustpan and broom thing for Katelyn (brand new in the wrapping for a quarter) and a glass pitcher (like new and exactly the same one I've been wanting to buy that's usually $15...I got it for a buck.) Whew....successful morning. I'm not sure why people buy new clothes for their toddlers. They grow so fast and all they are doing is climbing and playing and running anyway. Katelyn moves so fast you can't even see what she has on. :) I got Katelyn about $50 worth of clothes this morning for $4.

The church had a bushel of peaches donated for our kids. We ate them last week, but they weren't going to make it through the weekend...so I am canning 3/4 a bushel of peaches today. I'm making a bunch into jam and then I'm just canning the fruit that was still in the best condition. Definitely didn't want to throw away that much fruit...

The farm where we get our produce from each week is having a bumper crop of squash and zucchini right now and since we are "shareholders" in the farm as members of the CSA...we get our cut of the harvest. This week between mom and dad and I, we got 14 yellow squash and several zucchini...along with all the other vegetables, herbs and berries. I'm going to make a batch of rasberry jam when I'm done with the peaches. I'm trying to figure out how to get squash into everything I cook. I found a recipe for pizza crust that has a bit of wheat flour in it, but it's mostly grated squash...I'm going to try it out. I'll let you know how it goes....

1 comment:

maria said...

Could you post a link to that crust recipe?