Monday, July 6, 2009

A day to myself

Today was the PERFECT day! I love my daughter with all my heart, but I have not had an entire day to myself, to do whatever I wanted since she came home 14 months ago....and I was really, really needing this kind of day. So I had today off in observance of 4th of July and Katelyn was with her dad...so off I went to Bernheim Arboretum and Forest. Bernheim is about an hour and fifteen minutes southwest of Lexington. It's a 14,000 acre piece of property with 35 miles of trails. The high today was in the low 80's...humidity wasn't bad and there was a bit of a breeze. So I decided a day of hiking would be just what I needed.
Bernheim is really beautiful. The front part of the property is more arboretum-like with a couple of ponds, a little lake, a prairie area, flowers blooming.

Then the back 2/3 of the property is more forest-like and the trails are more rough and wooded. Also beautiful and very peaceful. Once I got back in there other people were few and far between. The solitude was good. The picture below is me at this overlook area that is 75 feet above the trees where I could see the forest below. AWESOME! (And yeah for the timer on the camera...since there was no one else around.)

This is what I could see from the overlook. Spectacular. Have I mentioned that Kentucky is an incredibly beautiful place and I felt so blessed today that the only money I had to spend was money for gas and $6 for my really yummy lunch at a little cafe they had at the visitor center.

One more beautiful shot looking across one of the small ponds. Today was good for the soul.

I hiked a total of 7.5 miles today. Yesterday I hit the official 50 pounds of weight lost. I just know that a year ago I wouldn't have been able to hike anywhere near that far. Katelyn weighs 28 pounds...and she's getting heavy to lug around. I just keep thinking about lugging around almost two Katelyns on my body. No wonder I was miserable and tired all the time. I feel better than I have in more years than I care to count and I'm so excited to start losing the next 50 pounds...

5 comments:

Aunt Pam said...

Melissa, I am so proud of you! 50 pounds is A huge difference! You look wonderful. Great job! I love your blog. It's the first place I go every day and when you don't post anything for a while I call my sister! You're doing a great job with your life.
Love, Aunt Pam

Aunt Shirley said...

You look just awesome kiddo! You have a great attitude and I too am proud of you. With God, all things are possible! Even though Katelyn wasn't in these pictures, I can truly appreciate you needing a "me" day! Good for the soul and mental well being! Love you lots!

Maree said...

Goosebumps!! This post absolutely thrills my soul!!

You look awesome!! 7.5 miles!! Hooray for you!!

You know our new Grandson weighs 9 pounds and he's a pretty big lump...if I gain just 10 pounds I'm adding a big ole lump..something I just never want to do again!

You go girl!!

maria said...

I'm so proud of you. You look amazing, and are amazing!!

Doris said...

I love your blogs and I hope I get to see you in the morning!!!!!

You are looking beautiful dear one!


oxoxoxoxoxo