Friday, July 17, 2009

Summer bounty

This summer my parents and I became members of Berries on Bryan Station (http://berriesonbryanstation.com/index.html), a community supported agriculture farm here in north Lexington. We each get 1/2 a bushel of produce each week that's grown locally and organically. The weather has been perfect this season and there is an abundance of everything. This week, we received a ton of yummy vegetables and berries. I got 7 yellow squash, 2 zucchini, 1 cucumber, a small container of mixed small tomatoes, a bag of small potatoes, a bag of mixed greens, 3 onions, a bag of cilantro, a bag of basil, a pint of blackberries and about a pound of rasberries (that I picked), and a small bouquet of fresh flowers. That was just what I got! My parents got the same pile of stuff. (We've figured out that next year we can share one 1/2 bushel between us.)
All of the food is so good. I cooked up an AWESOME stir fry with olive oil, garlic, onion, zucchini, yellow squash, peas and snow peas from last week's basket, tomatoes, fresh basil and some crushed red pepper, salt and pepper and I mixed in some cheese filled tortellini with a little parmesan on top. Literally everything was freshly picked. TASTY!

This was the perfect summer dish!

Here's the result of last weekend's canning extravaganza. Lots of peach jam, several big jars of halved peaches, and rasberry jam.... Even winter-time will be tasty around here!!

I've had a couple of people ask for the link to the yellow squash pizza crust recipe...so here it is: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Summer-Squash-Pizza-Crust/Detail.aspx My disclaimer is that I haven't cooked this yet myself...I'm just trying to find creative ways to use a ridiculous amount of squash. It looks good though...so I will be trying it soon.
I love summer time!

No comments: